May 28, 2021 15:30
Shares in AMC Entertainment skyrocketed yesterday, after the cinema chain surged 36% in an impressive one-day rally.
The company ended the day with its shares at $26.52 and a market value at $11.9 billion at the close of the session, representing a significant year-to-date increase of over 1,000%.
While AMC posted its highest close since May 12, 2017, rising 62% this week, shares in GameStop also rallied, ending the session with a weekly gain of 40%.
The double-digit rallies of the above so-called Reddit stocks have outperformed a largely quiet market, following enthusiasm from online retail traders.
This is the latest development in the captivating meme stock phenomenon, which has gripped the markets in recent times.
Such stocks are largely fuelled by social media, particularly the now infamous WallStreetBets subreddit page, which previously helped drive a retail trading frenzy back in January.
According to Bank of America analysis, AMC has now overtaken GameStop as the most-loved stock in the Reddit forum.
Source: Admiral Markets MetaTrader 5. AMC Entertainment daily chart Data range: from September 3, 2020 to May 28, 2021. Prepared on May 28, 2021 at 14:00 CET. Keep in mind that past returns do not guarantee future returns.
Evolution in the last 5 years:
- 2020: -69.90%
- 2019: -39.22%
- 2018: -20.99%
- 2017: -54.63%
- 2016: 42.53%
With the Admirals Trade.MT5 account, you can trade Contracts for Differences (CFDs) of AMC Entertainment, GameStop and more than 3000 stocks! CFDs allow traders to try to profit from the bull and bear markets, as well as the use of leverage. Click on the following banner to open an account today:
INFORMATION ABOUT ANALYTICAL MATERIALS:
The given data provides additional information regarding all analysis, estimates, prognosis, forecasts, market reviews, weekly outlooks or other similar assessments or information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the websites of Admiral Markets investment firms operating under the Admiral Markets trademark (hereinafter “Admiral Markets”) Before making any investment decisions please pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The content is published for informative purposes only and is in no way to be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and that it is not subject to any prohibition on dealing ahead of the dissemination of investment research.
- Any investment decision is made by each client alone whereas Admiral Markets shall not be responsible for any loss or damage arising from any such decision, whether or not based on the content.
- With a view to protecting the interests of our clients and the objectivity of the Analysis, Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- The Analysis is prepared by an independent analyst, Jack Muscutt (analyst), (hereinafter “Author”) based on their personal estimations.
- Whilst every reasonable effort is taken to ensure that all sources of the content are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, precise and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within the Analysis.
- Any kind of past or modeled performance of financial instruments indicated within the content should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee or implication by Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may both increase and decrease and the preservation of the asset value is not guaranteed.
- Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may result in losses or profit. Before you start trading, please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.