During yesterday’s trading day, the technology giant International Business Machines, better known as IBM, announced its earnings for the fourth quarter of 2020. And despite their earnings exceeding analysts’ forecasts, revenue was below expectations.
Earnings per share settled at $2.07 versus the expected $1.81, while revenue amounted to 20,370 million dollars below the market consensus of 20,640 million dollars.
In recent years, this company has been making an effort to renew its business model, betting on a combination of software development and cloud services. This process led IBM to purchase Red Hat for a value of $34 billion, which has experienced a 10% growth in revenue.
Despite the fact that the price rose 1.21% yesterday, closing at 131.91 dollars per share, the price is undergoing strong corrections of up to 7%. The company’s future prospects may, however, remain positive due to the changes made in recent years and its low debt.
Technically speaking, during the last months, this company has been moving within a bullish channel that has been reinforced by the triple crossing of ascending averages that has occurred during this movement, although we can observe a bearish divergence with its oscillators.
In the short term, it is important to see if the price is able to maintain the low band of the channel that acts as its main support since if it maintains it, the price could continue its way until reaching its resistance zone in green.
Source: Admiral Markets MetaTrader 5. IBM daily chart. Data range: from September 25, 2019 to January 22, 2021. Prepared on January 22, 2021 at 12:00 CET. Keep in mind that past returns do not guarantee future returns.
Price evolution of the last 5 years:
- 2020: -6.09%
- 2019: 17.92%
- 2018: -25.91%
- 2017: -7.57%
- 2016: 20.61%
With an Admiral Markets Trade.MT5 account, you can trade Contracts for Difference (CFDs) on IBM and over 3,000 stocks! CFDs allow traders to try to profit from both bull and bear markets, as well as profit from the use of leverage. Click on the following banner to open an account today:
INFORMATION ON ANALYTICAL MATERIALS:
The data provided provides additional information on all analyzes, estimates, forecasts, forecasts, market reviews, weekly outlooks or other evaluations or similar information (hereinafter “Analysis”) published on the Admiral Markets website. Before making any investment decisions, pay close attention to the following:
- This is a marketing communication. The content is posted for informational purposes only and should not be construed as investment advice or recommendation. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research, and is not subject to any prohibition on pre-dissemination of investment research.
- Each investment decision is made by each client alone, while Admiral Markets UK Ltd (Admiral Markets) will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from such a decision, whether based on content or not.
- In order to protect the interests of our clients and the objectivity of the Analysis, Admiral Markets has established relevant internal procedures for the prevention and management of conflicts of interest.
- The analysis is prepared by an independent analyst, Roberto Rojas, SEO implementer (hereinafter “Author”) based on personal estimates.
- While all reasonable efforts are made to ensure that all sources of content are reliable and that all information is presented, as much as possible, in an understandable, timely, accurate, and complete manner, Admiral Markets does not guarantee accuracy. or integrity of any information contained in the Analysis.
- Any past performance or modelling of the financial instruments indicated in the content should not be construed as an express or implied promise, guarantee, or implication of Admiral Markets for any future performance. The value of the financial instrument may rise and fall, and the preservation of the asset’s value is not guaranteed.
7. Leveraged products (including contracts for difference) are speculative in nature and may generate profit or loss. Before you start trading, make sure you fully understand the risks.